Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Finished!

I think we just set a world record. We completed an entire project in just six work days! Here is the finished product and please, let me know what you think. In the extended article there is a lot more information about the making of "Gnashing Gnasher and the Green Goo".

OK, after we had everything filmed it was time to start editing. As I mentioned in this article, we were going to be using iMovie to edit the footage. Unfortunately, not all the computers in college are up to date with the iLife software, so I brought in my trusty MacBook which has iLife '09 which includes the very powerful and free program of iMoie '09. More information on that here.
Anyway, as I am not paid to advertise for apple I think I will stick to what happened during our editing. The main reason we opted to use iMovie over Final Cut Pro was since we mainly used one camera and the was no 'throw away' footage, it just made more sense to use iMovie instead of Final Cut Pro. Also, the biggest advantage being that if we fell behind I would be able to continue to work at home (I don't own Final Cut Pro). Anyway, I exported all the footage from iStopMotion as a quicktime movie as this would be an easy way to work with the footage.
The first thing I did was to import all the footage into iMove. Once I had all my footage nicely into the bin in iMovie I had to go through it, cut the footage and put it together in the timeline. The was a fairly straight forward process and I had 95% of it complete before morning brew. The remainder 5% was lost on the fact that we still had to record the dialogue and insert it. Only once the dialogue was on the timelie was I able to cut the 'two camera' footage for the conversations.
The next step was to make a list of all the sound effect and music that was needed. We sifted through dozens of sound effect and Foley CD's and managed to find a few of the sounds we were looking for. For the remainder we had to search the Internet and where better to start than YouTube! Fortunately we managed to find most of the remaining sounds there. The last few sounds we recorded ourselves.
The last part was to add the opening and closing credits and to add the last bits of sound and music. This took the whole of this morning to do. By lunch time I was exporting the movie! In the first version (the one we showed to an audience who completed a survey) had a slight issue; the dialogue wasn't overly loud so general feedback from the audience was good but comment was made on the dialogue and the that the end credits were too long. Constructive criticism is always appreciated, so we needed to sort these issues out. Our lecturer adjusted the sound volume on the original sound files while we tweaked with the closing credits. With everything now in place I had to put in the new sound and export again.
Finally everything was finished by 3pm this afternoon just 20 college hours from the beginning!
Below are a few screenshots of the editing process in iMovie.
iMovie overview

The sound in iMovie

Timeline showing the text of the end credit (blue) the black background (black) and the music (green).
About to export movie

Are we there yet!?

No comments: